Sunday, September 1, 2013

Canned yesterday

I found some great produce at a great price to start canning my corn and green beans.   I did them up yesterday and since I'm turning into a Waste no more type person (that is a slow work in progress!), I am using the corn cobs today to make jelly.

Here's the website if you want to make it yourself.

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/how-to-make-corn-cob-jelly/

Already before its made I've given two half pints away!  But I'll be making more in the next few weeks.

I've got another crop of peas coming up for the fall, and I planted White and Red Chard last weekend for a couple of clients that love the stuff.  I also replanted a couple of herbs that I'll keep indoors during the winter and also sprouting my basil for a winter crop too.

Today my pastor talked about gardens and having to till the soil and work it and tend it and water it. I've done all that and its the bugs this year that got my beans and my squash.  I'm not giving up on this.  I will concur my garden woes,

Here's a thought and somewhere in the Scriptures it talks about how in addictions and such that if by the third generation it has not been practiced that the addiction is out of the family scenario.  I believe that our God does the same with the ground we sow our seeds.  That which we plant that is chemically protected, and then take the seed from the plant, resow it and do it a third time by the third time it will be rid of the chemical as long as the soil was prepared with natural resources.

This year, I've been saving seeds from a few things I've grown mainly the snap peas, and also done it with the potatoes, and a couple of onions and celery.  Its amazing to see what comes about.

I should add that this morning as I was eating my grapefruit that I had a peel to use for my spice scented cleaner I use.  I really like this stuff!  If you haven't used it yet, try it.  In a jar you place your peels, a couple of cinnamon sticks and cloves and pour vinegar in it to fill the jar.  Let it set for about ten days.  I've reused this a couple of times as the vinegar is a preservative and the peels do not rot.  I have sprayer that had like the original spray cleaner in it, rinsed it out and poured that in it.  The vinegar smell is what you smell first but after a few minutes you smell the citrus smell from the peelings.    Let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment